Sent to you by Chris Hunter via Google Reader:
Are you thinking of switching from your Windows-based PC to a Mac? Learn everything you need to know in order to make that transition painless. Read "Switched: The Convert's Guide to the Mac and OS X". From MakeUseOf staff writer Tim Brookes., our latest guide explains how to use a Mac from the perspective of a lifelong Windows user.
The reasons for deciding to buy a Mac over a PC are entirely personal, and your own pro-Mac arguments might not align with someone else's. That said, there are a few things that Mac users generally enjoy that users of other operating systems might not, including unique features and a perceived superior user experience. Over the past few years the gap between the PC world and Mac world has narrowed, as Apple's steady growth in the home computer market is bolstered by their success with devices such as the iPhone, iPad and iPod.
If you're among the many who've made the switch from PC to Mac – or are simply thinking of making that switch – this guide aims to guide you through your transition.
This guide will show you:
- The various Macs on the market, and which is right for you.
- How to transfer files from your old PC to your new Mac.
- Getting to know the OS X user interface, from the dock to gestures to advanced settings.
- Installing software: how the Mac process is different from Windows.
- Bundled software and what it's for, from iLife to Safari to iPhoto.
- What all those ports on your new Mac actually do.
The post READ or DOWNLOAD Switched: The Convert's Guide To The Mac & OS X appeared first on MakeUseOf.